Monday, August 1, 2011

Xtreme Sports!

     In the Dixon home... one of our most favorite memories is watching the X-Games together.  In 1997 we were in San Diego and saw a sign for X-Games 3.  We thought... "Why not?"  We really hadn't heard much about it, but we knew the boys would like it.  That decision 14 years ago with Tyler, Brad and Ben in a stroller has turned into a "family tradition"!!!  We saw in person some great xtreme athletes like Tony Hawk and Dave Mirra.



 
     Tyler gave a talk in Stake Conference on Mother's Day this year.  Since it was Mother's Day he thought he should say something about his Mother... (to embarrass me I'm sure ;)  "I have the coolest Mom ever... and I will tell you why...  In 1999 my brothers and I were watching the X-Games on TV.  Tony Hawk was trying to land the 900 in Vert Skateboarding, a trick nobody had ever done before.  It was really intense... we were jumping up and down, screaming, on the couches when he finally landed it!  Amazing!!  I looked over to see my mom crying... she had been cheering for him right along with us and was so thrilled for him!  That is when I knew... my Mom was the coolest Mom ever!  She even checked my brothers and I out of school to go to a parking lot in Salt Lake where Tony Hawk was putting on an exhibition.  He had a young 11 year old kid skating with him that day that nobody had heard of before... a kid named Shaun White!" 
      I think that was an awesome tribute!  I have always loved seeing my boys so excited about things they have been interested in... such joy! Good thing their Mom is a sports junkie... (I learned that from my Mom ;)

     A couple of days ago... we were watching again as a now 23 year old Shaun White won the same competition we watched Tony Hawk win 12 years ago...  Crazy!  This time I was texting Tyler and Brad who are thousands of miles away... (Text from Mom)..." X-Games delivers again!"


     Of course Shaun White is even better known for his Olympic Snowboarding Gold Medal!
     Here are a few pictures of my boys doing their own extreme sports. Someday I will find more pictures... but for now here we go:




    Teaching little brother, Ethan, to Skateboard:





    We have even been known to throw a little boxing into the mix!

     And a scooter race with Dad!

     One winter when we had a ton of snow, Ben built a ramp up to the roof of the house so he could snowboard off the roof.   I recall saying "If you get hurt, I am NOT taking you to the Emergency Room!"

   Brad... the day he came home from his mission... admiring his snowboard with fondness:

   To tell the truth, who my boys really want to be is their cousin Justin... the REAL extreme sports nut in the family!  
   I am sure grateful for fun memories and just a few injuries so far...

1 comment:

  1. So awesome! Great pictures and what fun memories. Yes, I do believe that you are the coolest mom around.

    ReplyDelete