Monday, August 29, 2011

Dad's 85th Birthday!

Happy Birthday Dad!!!

   We had the privilege of going to Vegas this past weekend to celebrate my Dad's 85th Birthday!  Most of the family was able to be there... we missed my brother Steve!
My Dad is an honorable man who loved and adored our sweet Mom...the best gift he could ever give his children!  He spends at least 4 days a week in the Temple and is a great example to us all.

Here he is as a scout many years ago... I LOVE this picture... we have tried to carry on the scouting tradition with our boys... 3 Eagles and Noah is almost done... only 1 more to go!  Dad was the 
first Eagle Scout in Lincoln County Nevada!

Our Wedding Day at the St. George Temple



          My brother Scott playing a new song he wrote especially for the family.  We love hearing him play and being together as a family.  It doesn't happen often enough!



85 candles almost caught the whole cake on fire!

Thanks Linda and Allyn for hosting such a fun party.  I love my Sister and Brothers... it is such a blessing to be a family!



3 months ago Dad told me all he wanted for his Birthday was a poem from me.  If you don't know my Dad... you need to know he LOVES poetry.  I wrote a poem called "The Way" when I was 17 and Dad has been reciting it from memory ever since (much to my chagrin!)  I tried to explain to him that I retired from poetry many years ago... but he persisted.  On the way to Vegas for his party, James helped me pull together some of the thoughts I have had... so Dad would have his wish for his birthday!  I think he liked it!

I remember a soft scratch of whiskers 
as he'd kiss on my little girl face.
Holding hands, dancing on his feet
and Daddy-Daughter dates at just the right place.

Fun trips to the lake,
and snow skiing too;
Camping in tents on the beach and motorcycle trips
are some of the fun things we'd do.

Dad LOVED his motorcycles
and long rides with Uncle Fred,
His dogs Jocko & Spirit, in goggles and leather,
they certainly turned some heads!

I'm amazed at his artistic abilities,
that are second to none!
He delivered beautiful jewelry,
just as soon as he could get it done.

There are memories of the strong smell of work,
of tools and of sweat,
of dust and of rust
I will never forget.

After shave lotion,
paint cans and pails--
Bolo ties, buckles and cowboy boots,
hammers and nails.

Projects, oh the projects-- and poems,
were always close by.
He taught us nothing was impossible 
if only we would try!

Reciting poetry...
he has taught us "The Way"--
Are we "Who our Mother thinks we are"?
"Have we looked in the mirror today"?

Have we heard the old fiddle,
"Touched by the Master's Hand"?
Do our hearts swell with pride
in "My America", this blessed free land?

The Gospel of Jesus Christ
is the anchor in his life.
Years of service in the Temple
has brought great joy to him, and his sweet wife.

He gave us a gift
with value above all other--
love and devotion to his sweetheart,
our dear, precious Mother.

They raised six children
as they shared their life together.
The promise of eternity,
our family is forever.

His legacy lives on 
in talented and happy grandchildren and greats.
He has taught them the lessons of life,
and all that it takes.

Thank you, Dad, for the life you have led,
your example and all the memories too--
We will try to live our lives with honor
and follow the Savior, just like you.

I love you Daddy... Lisa


2 comments:

  1. It was such a wonderful week-end. We miss you guys already! And your poem for Dad is priceless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're sad we missed it. I love that picture of Grampa Jack as a boy scout, I think I need one to frame.

    ReplyDelete